BMS 690 - The Biology of Aging
This course presents an in-depth analysis of the biology of aging. Topics will include: theories of aging, experimental models used to study of aging and longevity, impact of oxidative stress in cell and organ function, adaptive responses, the metabolic syndrome of aging, cellular senescence, genetic instability and potential therapeutic strategies for prolonging health span.
The semester this class is offered varies.
- Evolutionary perspective and theories of aging
- Conserved aging pathways
- Animal models: C. elegans
- Animal models: mice
- Animal models: emerging models
- Adaptive responses
- Cellular senescence
- Genetic instability
- Dietary restriction and intervention studies
- Therapeutic applications for healthy aging