Tulane University, 2003, B.S. Cell and Molecular Biology;
University of California, San Francisco, 2010, Ph.D. Biomedical Sciences
I received my B.S. in Cell and Molecular Biology. I attended graduate school at University of California, San Francisco, where I studies the group of genetically inherited neurodegenerative diseases known as polyglutamine diseases. For my postdoctoral studies, I incorporated how aging contributes to age-related diseases using C. elegans as a model. Currently, my lab uses C. elegans to understand the cell, molecular, and genetic influences of aging. In particular, we focus on how mitochondrial stress responses impact aging.
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Stress Response and Adaptation
- Mitochondrial unfolded protein response
- Angeli S, Shao J, Diamond MI. (2010). F-actin binding regions on the androgen receptor and huntingtin increase aggregation and alter aggregate characteristics. PLoS ONE, Vol. 5, Issue 2. PMCID: PMC2816219.
- Angeli S, Klang I, Sivapatham R, Mark K, Zucker D, Bhaumik D, Lithgow GJ, Andersen JK. (2013). A DNA synthesis inhibitor is protective against proteotoxic stressors via modulation of fertility pathways in Caenorhabditis elegans. Aging, Vol. 5, No. 10. PMCID: PMC3838778.
- Angeli S, Barhydt T, Jacobs R, Killilea DW, Lithgow GJ, and Andersen JK. (2014). Manganese Disturbs Protein and Metal Homeostasis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Metallomics, Issue 10. PMCID: PMC4309368.
- Leonoudakis D, Rane A, Angeli S, Lithgow GJ, Andersen JK and Chinta S. (2017). Anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective role of natural product securinine in activated glial cells. Implications for Parkinson’s disease. Mediators of Inflammation – Vol. 2017, pg. 11. PMCID: PMC5394397.
- Lucanic M, Plummer WT, Chen E, Harke J, Foulger AC, Onken B, Coleman-Hulbert AL, Dumas KJ, Guo S, Johnson E, Bhaumik D, Xue J, Crist AB, Presley MP, Harinath G, Sedore CA, Chamoli M, Kamat S, Chen MK, Angeli S, Chang C, Willis JH, Edgar D, Royal MA, Chao EA, Patel S, Garrett T, Ibanez-Ventoso C, Hope J, Kish JL, Guo M, Lithgow GJ, Driscoll M, Phillips PC. (2017). Impact of Genetic Background and Experimental Reproducibility on Identifying Chemical Compounds with Robust Longevity Effects. Nature Communications, Vol. 8, 14256. PMCID: PMC5321775.
- Xie X, Chamoli C, Bhaumik D, Sivapatham R, Angeli S, Andersen JK, Lithgow GJ, Birgit S. (2020) Quantification of Insoluble Protein Aggregation in Caenorhabditis elegans during Aging with a Novel Data-Independent Acquisition Workflow. JoVE, 7 Aug (162). PMCID:PMC7519758 PMCID:PMC8833115
- Angeli S, Foulger AC, Chamoli M, Peiris TH, Gerencser AA, Shahmirzadi Asadi A, Andersen JK, Lithgow GJ. (2021) The mitochondrial permeability transition pore activates the mitochondrial unfolded protein response and promotes aging. eLife 2021; 10:e63453. PMCID:PMC8410078
- Begelman DV, Woods G, Bhaumik D, Angeli S, Foulger AC, Lucanic M, Lan J, Andersen JK, Lithgow GJ. (2022) An aco-2::GFP knock-in enables the monitoring of mitochondrial morphology throughout C. elegans lifespan. MicroPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000599