My lab investigates the neurological substrates of fear, anxiety, and learning in rodents. We are espeically interested in anxiety disorders invoving memory components such as phobias and post-traumatic stress disorder. We are currently working on a model of pediatric anxiety.
While always emphasizing the examination of behavior, my lab uses a variety of techniques including stereotaxic surgery, pharmacology, immunohistochemistry, PCR and more.
- Post-Doctoral Training, Behavioral Neuroscience
- University of Delaware (Newark)
- Davis S., Rice, M., Rudlong, J. Eaton, V., King T., Burman, M.A. (2018). Neonatal pain and stress disrupts later-life pavlovian fear condiitioning and sensory function in rats: Evidence for a two-hit model. Developmental Psychobiology. 60. 520-533.
- Burman, M.A, Szolusha, K., Bind, R., Kerney, K., Boger, D. & Bilsky, E. (2016). FAAH Inhibitor OL-135 Disrupts Contextual, but not Auditory, Fear Conditioning in Rats. Behavioural Brain Research. 308, 1-5
- Deal, A.L.; Erickson, K.J.; Shiers S.I. & Burman, M.A. (2016). Limbic system development underlies the emergence of classical fear conditioning during the 3rd and 4th weeks of life in the rat. Behavioral Neuroscience
- Deal, A.L., Erickson, K.J., Bilsky, E.J., Hillman, S.J. & Burman, M.A. (2014). K-12 Neuroscience education outreach program: Interactive activities for educating students about neuroscience. Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education (JUNE).
- Burman, M.A., Erickson, K.J., Deal, A.L. & Jacobson, R.E. (2014) Contextual and Auditory Fear Conditioning Continue to Emerge during the Periweaning Period in Rats. PLoS ONE 9(6): e100807. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0100807.
- Burman, M.A., Simmons, C.A., Hughes, M., Lei, L. (2014). Developing and validating trace fear conditioning protocols in C57BL/6 mice. Journal of neuroscience methods 222, 111-117.
- Foster, J. A., Burman, M.A. (2010). Evidence for Hippocampus-Dependent Contextual Learning at Postnatal Day 17 in the Rat. Learning and Memory. 17(5):259-66
- Burman, M.A., Hamilton, K.L., & Gewirtz, J.C. (2010). The Role of Corticosterone in Trace and Delay Conditioned Fear-Potentiated Startle in Rats. Behavioral Neuroscience. 24(2):294-9
- Burman, M.A., Murawski, N.J., Schiffino, F.L., Rosen, J., Stanton, M.E. (2009). Factors governing single-trial contextual fear conditioning in the weanling rat. Behavioral Neuroscience. 123(5), 1148-1152.
- Brown, K. L., Burman, M. A., Duong, H. B., & Stanton, M. E. (2009). Neonatal binge alcohol exposure produces dose dependent deficits in interstimulus interval discrimination eyeblink conditioning in juvenile rats. Brain Res, 1248, 162-175.
- Burman, M.A., Gewirtz J.C. (2007). Hippocampal activity, but not plasticity, is required for fear conditioning with a short trace interval. European Journal of Neuroscience. 25(8), 2483-2490
- Burman, M. A., Starr, M. J., & Gewirtz, J. C. (2006). Dissociable effects of hippocampus lesions on expression of fear and trace fear conditioning memories in rats. Hippocampus, 16(2), 103-113.
- Burman, M.A., Gewirtz, J.C. (2004). Timing of Fear Expression in Trace and Delay Conditioning Measured by Fear-Potentiated Startle in Rats. Learning and Memory 11: 205-212.
- Neiworth, J., Burman, M., Basile, B., Lickteig, M. (2002). Use of Experimenter-Given Cues in Visual Co-Orienting and in an Object-Choice Task by a New World Monkey Species, Cotton Top Tamarins (Saguinus oedipus). Journal of Comparative Psychology 116(1): 3-11.
- 2012 to 2015 — $404,000.00 — Assessing the development of hippocampus-amygdala interactions during emotional learning from NIH (NIMH)