Ph.D. University of Minnesota 2006
My lab investigates the neurological substrates of fear, anxiety, and learning in rodents. We are espeically interested in anxiety disorders invoving memory components such as phobias and post-traumatic stress disorder. We are currently working on a model of pediatric anxiety.
While always emphasizing the examination of behavior, my lab uses a variety of techniques including stereotaxic surgery, pharmacology, immunohistochemistry, PCR and more.
- Deal, A.L.; Erickson, K.J.; Shiers S.I. & Burman, M.A. (2016). Limbic system development underlies the emergence of classical fear conditioning during the 3rd and 4th weeks of life in the rat. Behavioral Neuroscience. 130(2) 212-230
- Burman, M.A, Szolusha, K., Bind, R., Kerney, K., Boger, D. & Bilsky, E. (2016). FAAH Inhibitor OL-135 Disrupts Contextual, but not Auditory, Fear Conditioning in Rats. Behavioural Brain Research. 308, 1-5
- Burman, M.A., Simmons, C.A., Hughes, M., Lei, L. (2014). Developing and validating trace fear conditioning protocols in C57BL/6 mice. Journal of neuroscience methods 222, 111-117
- Deal, A.L., Erickson, K.J., Bilsky, E.J., Hillman, S.J. & Burman, M.A. (2014). K-12 Neuroscience education outreach program: Interactive activities for educating students about neuroscience. Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education (JUNE).
- Burman, M.A., Erickson, K.J., Deal, A.L. & Jacobson, R.E. (2014). Contextual and Auditory Fear Conditioning Continue to Emerge During the Periweaning Period in Rats. PLOS ONE.
- Foster, J. A., Burman, M.A. (2010). Evidence for Hippocampus-Dependent Contextual Learning at Postnatal Day 17 in the Rat. Learning and Memory. 17(5):259-66
- Burman, M.A., Hamilton, K.L., & Gewirtz, J.C. (2010). The Role of Corticosterone in Trace and Delay Conditioned Fear-Potentiated Startle in Rats. Behavioral Neuroscience. 24(2):294-9
- Burman, M.A., Murawski, N.J., Schiffino, F.L., Rosen, J., Stanton, M.E. (2009). Factors governing single-trial contextual fear conditioning in the weanling rat. Behavioral Neuroscience. 123(5), 1148-1152.
- Brown, K. L., Burman, M. A., Duong, H. B., & Stanton, M. E. (2009). Neonatal binge alcohol exposure produces dose dependent deficits in interstimulus interval discrimination eyeblink conditioning in juvenile rats. Brain Res, 1248, 162-175.
- Burman, M.A., Gewirtz J.C. (2007). Hippocampal activity, but not plasticity, is required for fear conditioning with a short trace interval. European Journal of Neuroscience. 25(8), 2483-2490
- Burman, M. A., Starr, M. J., & Gewirtz, J. C. (2006). Dissociable effects of hippocampus lesions on expression of fear and trace fear conditioning memories in rats. Hippocampus, 16(2), 103-113.
- Burman, M.A., Gewirtz, J.C. (2004). Timing of Fear Expression in Trace and Delay Conditioning Measured by Fear-Potentiated Startle in Rats. Learning and Memory 11: 205-212.
- Neiworth, J., Burman, M., Basile, B., Lickteig, M. (2002). Use of Experimenter-Given Cues in Visual Co-Orienting and in an Object-Choice Task by a New World Monkey Species, Cotton Top Tamarins (Saguinus oedipus). Journal of Comparative Psychology 116(1): 3-11.
- 2012 to 2015 — $404,000.00 — Assessing the development of hippocampus-amygdala interactions during emotional learning from NIH (NIMH)