- Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, 1990, DPM
- Bates College, 1986, BS, Biology
Dr. O’Brien is a graduate of Bates College and the Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine. After completing a surgical residency at VAMC Palo Alto and Stanford, Dr. O’Brien was employed at a small biomedical start-up based in San Jose, CA. He eventually returned to Maine and the full-time practice of podiatry. He has since divided his time between running a podiatry practice and developing medical products. He has successfully licensed six surgical products and holds six patents. His start-up, O’Brien Medical, launched its first product, the ETF128 in 2015. His second start-up, ScanDx, is currently developing a smartphone-based fracture detection system. Writing credits include several articles in peer-reviewed medical journals, a chapter in a surgical text and a book on entrepreneurship for inventors. He is a past-president of the medical staff at Penobscot Valley Hospital as well as the Maine Podiatric Medical Association. He currently serves on the Maine Board of Licensure in Podiatric Medicine and is employed by PCHC in Old Town, Maine. He has been involved in several projects with University of Maine students and faculty over the years and is excited to formalize this relationship.
- O’Brien, T, Karem, J. Combined Utility of the Semmes-Weinstein Monofilament and Timed Vibration Test in the Prediction of Diabetic Foot Ulcers. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical AssociationVol. 112, No.1, 2022
- O’Brien, Todd D. “Impaired dermal microvascular reactivity and implications for diabetic wound formation and healing: an evidence review.” Journal of Wound Care 29.Sup9 (2020): S21-S28
- O’Brien, T. Evidence-Based Assessment of Pediatric Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Curr Res Diabetes & Obes J. 2019; 9(5): 555773. DOI: 10.19080/CRDOJ.2019.09.555774
- O’Brien, T. A Novel Method of Fracture Detection via Smartphone poster abstract, 2016 World Congress of Podiatry, Montreal, QC
- O’Brien, T, Karem, J. An Initial Evaluation of a Proof-of-Concept 128 Hz Electronic Tuning Fork in the Detection of Peripheral Neuropathy. Journal of Podiatric Medical Association Vol. 104, No. 2, 2014.
- O’Brien T, Karem J. Relative Sensory Sparing in the Diabetic Foot Implied through Vibration Testing. Diabet Foot Ankle. 4: 10.3402/dfa.v4i0.21278, 2013.
- O’Brien, T.: Current Techniques of Toenail Surgery. In International Advances in Foot and Ankle Surgery, Amol Saxena, Editor. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2012.
- Validation of the Hallux as the Site of Choice in Vibration testing in the Diabetic Foot, poster abstract, 2012 APMA Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- O’Brien, T.: Caesar’s Guide for Innovators. Available on Amazon, 2011.
- Modified Partial Matricectomy Technique, poster abstract, 2007 APMA Annual Scientific Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- O’Brien, T.: The Crescentic Inverted Scarf Osteotomy. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery Vol. 42, No.1, 2003.
- Saxena, A., O’Brien, T.: Postoperative Physical Therapy for Podiatric Surgery. Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association Vol. 82, No. 8, 1992.
- O’Brien, T.: Lower Extremity Cycling Biomechanics. Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association Vol. 81, No.11, 1991.
- Gastwirth, B., O’Brien, T., Nelson, R., Manger, D., Kindig, S.: An Electodynographic Study of Foot Function in Shoes of varying Heel Heights. Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association Vol. 81, No. 9, 1991.
- Saxena, A., O’Brien, T., Bunce, D.: Anatomic Dissection of the Tibialis Posterior Muscle and Its Correlation to Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome. Journal of Foot Surgery Vol. 29, No. 2, 1990.