Hi! I am Dr. Steven ‘Steev’ C. Sutton. I earned my B.S. Pharmacy Cum Laude from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, Boston, where I was inducted into Rho Chi. I worked as a retail pharmacist in Harvard Square and Lowell, MA for about a year before returning to school. I met the love of my life in the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo. About the same time I earned my Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, our first son was born, and I joined the General Pharmaceutics Group, CIBA-Geigy (now Novartis). A little later, we had our second son, and we moved to Lawrence, KS (go Jayhawks!) and worked at INTERx Research Corporation (founded by Takeru Higuchi, the ‘father of physical pharmacy’, and a subsidiary of Merck & Co). Soon after our daughter was born we moved back to New England and I joined Pfizer Labs in Groton, CT in what was then called the Pharmaceutical R&D Department. In 2009, I became an inaugural faculty at the College of Pharmacy at the University of New England, Portland, Maine. My personal interests include hiking, fine woodworking and gardening.
Determine the impact of chronic low-level orally ingested “forever” chemicals and nano plastic particles on the immune system of the intestines.
Board Certifications and Licenses
Pharmacy: MA, NY
- Kachrani, H., A. Farnham, D. Brazeau, S. C. Sutton (2019). Genetic evidence for the impact of inflammation caused by orally ingested nanoparticles of plastic (likely food contaminants) on an in vitro model of the gut. Maine Pharmacy Association Fall Convention, Portland, ME 14 September 2019.
- Hurley, B., Farnham, A., Brazeau, D., Sutton, S.C. (2019). Determining Whether Gene Toxicity from Acute Exposure of Plastic Nanoparticles and the Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon – Benzo[a]pyrene are Additive. UNECOM Research Forum September 2018.
- Lincoln, R., S. C. Sutton (2018). The effects of B[a]P on an in vitro model of the human GI immune system. Maine Pharmacy Association Fall Convention, Portland, ME 22 September 2018.
- Farmham, A., S.C. Sutton (2017). Genetic modifications and translocation of polystyrene and Benzo[a]pyrene in a human intestinal 9:1 Caco-2:HT29 MTX cell mono-layer model. ASHP Midyear Mtg, Orlando, Fl, 3-7 Dec 2017
- A Farnham, SH Stafford, SC Sutton: Impact of Dose on Amount of Polystyrene Nanoparticles Translocated Across Caco-2 Cell Monolayers, AAPS NERDG Annual Meeting, Farmington, CT, April 20, 2017.
Invited Plenary Presentations
- Sutton, SC. Challenges When Working with Different Animal Species. USP Workshop on In vitro Testing for Meeting Future Challenges for Veterinary Dosage Forms, March 14–15, 2016 USP Meetings Center, Rockville, Maryland.
- Sutton, SC. Interspecies intestinal differences and impact on oral dosage forms for animal health” to be presented at the joint CRS/AAPS workshop “Animal Health Drug R&D: Formulation, Delivery and Development to Market”, November 1-2, 2014, in San Diego
- Sutton, SC. The anatomy & physiology of interspecies’ biopharmaceutics, presented at the “Interspecies clinical pharmacology dosing concepts” mini-symposia, at the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Controlled Release Society, July 13-16, 2014, in Chicago
- Sutton, SC. Predictive Animal Models for Assessing Long-Acting Formulations for Human and Animal Health, presented at the Inaugural Controlled and Modified Drug Release Conference in Philadelphia, PA on May 7-8, 201
- Sutton, SC. Critical Features of Solubility and Permeability that can Limit the Food Effect, presented at the 2nd annual Drug Formulation & Bioavailability – West Coast, in San Diego, CA, on June 2-3, 2014
- Sutton, S. C.: Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics of the Food Effect, presented at the Roundtable: When Food Impacts Oral Drug Exposure: The Nature and Study of the Food Effect. AAPS National Meeting, San Antonio, Nov., 2013.
- Sutton SC. Utilizing in silico, in vitro and preclinical methods to optimize your clinical prediction from biopharmaceutic modeling. ExlPharma’s 2nd Enhancing Drug Bioavailability and Solubility Conference, Boston, MA January, 2013