Katherine S. Rudolph
Dr. Katherine (Katy) Rudolph is physical therapist and researcher in the Department of Physical Therapy in the Westbrook College of Health Professions at UNE. She earned an MSPT Boston University in 1989 and a Ph.D. in Biomechanics and Movement Science from the University of Delaware (UD) in 1998. After post-doctoral training in the Center for Biodynamics at Boston Universitiy she accepted a faculty position at UD where she remained from September, 1999 thru August, 2011. She joined the UNE family in September, 2011.
Dr. Rudolph’s research interest is neuromuscular control of locomotion and chronic pain. She studies people with joint instability in anterior cruciate ligament deficiency and knee osteoarthritis; people with hemiparesis post-stroke and older adults. She is also interested in developing new technologies for use in rehabilitation including muscle strengthening devices and rehabilitation robots for gait training.
- Rudolph, K.S.; Eastlack, M.E.; Axe, M.J.; Snyder-Mackler, L. 1998 Basmajian Student Award Paper: Movement patterns after anterior cruciate ligament injury: a comparison of patients who compensate well for the injury and those who require operative stabilization. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 1998;8(6): 349-362. PMID: 9840891
- Rudolph K.S., Axe, M.J., Snyder-Mackler, L. Dynamic Stability in the ACL deficient knee: Who can hop? Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2000;8(5):262-269. PMID: 11061293
- Rudolph K.S., Axe, M.J., Buchanan, T.S., Scholz, J.P., Snyder-Mackler, L. Dynamic Stability in the ACL deficient knee. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2001;9(2):62-71 PMID: 11061293
- Chmielewski, T.L., Rudolph, K.S., Fitzgerald, G.K., Axe, M.J., Snyder-Mackler, L. Biomechanical Evidence Supporting a Differential Response to Acute ACL Injury. Clinical Biomechanics. 2001 Aug;16(7):586-91. PMID: 11470300
- Williams, G.N., Chmielewski, T.L., Rudolph, K.S., Buchanan, T.S., Snyder-Mackler, L. Dynamic knee stability: Current theory and implications for clinicians and scientists. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 2001 Oct;31(10):546-66). PMID: 11665743
- Lewek, M., Rudolph, K.S., Axe, M.J., Snyder-Mackler, L. The effect of insufficent quad strength on gait after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Clin Biomech 2002 Jan, 17(1):56-63.
- Chmielewski, T.L., Rudolph K.S., Snyder-Mackler, L. Development of Dynamic Knee Stability after Acute ACL Injury. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2002 Aug;12(4):267-74. PMID: 12121683
- Lewek, M., Rudolph, K.S., Snyder-Mackler, L. Quadriceps Femoris Muscle Weakness and Activation Failure in Patients With Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2004 Jan;22(1):110-5. PMCID: PMC3073134
- Schmitt, L.C., Schmitt, L.A., Rudolph, K.S., Management of Patient with a Forearm Fracture and Median Nerve Injury. J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2004 Feb;34(2):47-56.
- Lewek M, Rudolph KS, Snyder-Mackler L, Control of Frontal Plane Knee Laxity during Gait in Patients with Medial Compartment Knee Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2004 Sep;12(9):745-51. PMCID: PMC3123521
- Rudolph, K.S. Snyder-Mackler, L. Dynamic Stability in the ACL Deficient Knee during a Stepping Task. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 2004 Oct;14(5):565-75.
- Banala SK, Agrawal SK, Fattah A, Rudolph K, Scholz J. A Gravity Balancing Leg Orthosis for Robotic Rehabilitation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems & Rehabilitation Engineering. IEEE Proceedings on International Conference of Robotics and Automation, 2004, 2474-2479.
- Dong, S., Lu, K.-Q., Sun, J.Q., Rudolph, K. Physical therapy applications of MR fluids and intelligent control. Proceedings of SPIE – The International Society for Optical Engineering 5760, art. no. 22, pp. 196-207
- Dong S, Lu K-Q, Sun JQ, Rudolph KS. Rehabilitation Device with Variable Resistance and Intelligent Control. Medical Engineering & Physics 2005;27:249-255. PMCID: PMC2217587
- Chmielewski TL, Hurd W, Rudolph KS, Axe MJ, Snyder-Mackler. Perturbation Training Decreases Knee Stiffness and Muscle Co-contraction in the ACL Injured Knee. Phys Ther. 2005 85(8):740-54. PMID:16048422
- Houck, J., Chmielewski, T.L., Hurd, W.J., Rudolph, K.S., Axe, M.J., Snyder-Mackler, L. Perturbation training improves knee kinematics and reduces muscle co-contraction after complete unilateral anterior cruciate ligament rupture: Invited commentary. Physical Therapy 85 (8), pp. 750-754
- Lewek MD, Ramsey D, Snyder-Mackler L Rudolph KS. Knee stabilization in patients with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2005 Sep;52(9):2845-53. PMCID: PMC1343471
- Banala, S.K., Agrawal, S.K., Fattah, A., Krishnamoorthy, V., Hsu, W.-L., Scholz, J., Rudolph, K. Gravity-balancing leg orthosis and its performance evaluation. IEEE Transactions on Robotics 22 (6), pp. 1228-1239.
- Lewek MD, Scholz J, Rudolph KS, Snyder-Mackler L. Stride-to-stride variability of knee motion in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Gait Posture. 2006 Jun;23(4):505-11. PMCID: PMC2435270
- Dong S, Lu, K-Q, Sun J-Q, Rudolph K. Adaptive force regulation of muscle strengthening rehabilitation device with magnetorheological fluids. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2006 Mar;14(1):55-63. PMCID: PMC2268717
- Dong S, Lu KQ, Sun JQ, Rudolph K. A prototype rehabilitation device with variable resistance and joint motion control. Med Eng Phys. 2006 May;28(4):348-55. PMCID: PMC2268114
- Dong S, Lu, K-Q, Sun J-Q, Rudolph K. Smart Rehabilitation Devices – Part 1. Force Tracking Control. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 2006:Jun;17:543-552. PMCID: PMC2394728
- Dong S, Lu, K-Q, Sun J-Q, Rudolph K. Smart Rehabilitation Devices – Part 2. Adaptive Motion Control. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 2006;17(7):555-561. PMCID: PMC2424262
- Briem K, Ramsey DK, Rudolph KS, Newcomb W, Snyder-Mackler L. Effects of the amount of valgus correction for medial compartment knee osteoarthritis. J Orthop Res. 2007 Mar;25(3):311-8. PMCID: PMC3133740
- Ramsey DK, Snyder-Mackler L, Lewek MD, Newcomb W, Rudolph KS. Effect of Anatomical Realignment on Muscle Function During Gait in Patients with Medial Compartment Knee Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2007 57(3):389-397. PMCID: PMC2217586
- Schmitt LC, Rudolph KS. Influences on Knee Movement Strategies during Walking in Persons with Medial Knee Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2007, Jul 30;57(6):1018-1026. PMCID: PMC2213278
- Rudolph KS, Schmitt LC. Age-related changes in strength and walking patterns: Are they related to knee osteoarthritis? Phys Ther. 2007 Nov;87(11):1422-32. PMCID: PMC2217585
- Schmitt LC, Rudolph KS. Muscle Stabilization Strategies in People with Medial Knee Osteoarthritis: The Effect of Instability. J Orthop Res. 2008 Apr 10;26(9):1180-1185. PMCID: PMC3112363.
- Schmitt LC, Fitzgerald GK, Reisman AS, Rudolph KS. Instability, Laxity, and Physical Function in Patients with Medial Knee Osteoarthritis. Phys Ther 2008 Dec;88(12):1506-16. PMCID: PMC2599794
- Reisman DS, Rudolph KS, Farquhar WB. Influence of Speed on Walking Economy Post-Stroke. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2009 Jan;23(6):529-34. PMID:19126838.
- Kesar TM, Perumal R, Reisman DS, Jancosko A, Rudolph KS, Higginson JS and Binder-Macleod SA Functional electrical stimulation of ankle plantarflexor and dorsiflexor muscles: effects on poststroke gait. Stroke. 2009 Dec;40(12):3821-7. PMCID: PMC2827197
- Kesar TM, Perumal R, Jancosko A, Reisman DS, Rudolph KS, Higginson JS and Binder-Macleod SA. Novel Patterns of Functional Electrical Stimulation Have an Immediate Effect on Dorsiflexor Muscle Function During Gait for People Poststroke. Physical Therapy. 2010 Jan;901;55-66. PMCID: PMC2802826
- Temel, M., Rudolph, K.S., Agrawal, S.K. Gait recovery in healthy subjects: Perturbations to the knee motion with a Smart Knee Brace. IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, AIM , art. no. 5695918, pp. 527-532.
- Zeni J, Rudolph KS, Higginson JS. Alterations in Quadriceps and Hamstrings Coordination In Persons With Medial Compartment Knee Osteoarthritis. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2010 Feb;20(1): 148-154. PMCID: PMC2827305
- Kesar TM, Reisman DS, Perumal R, Jancosko A, Higginson JS, Rudolph KS, Binder-Macleod SA. Combined effects of fast treadmill walking and functional electrical stimulation on post-stroke gait. Gait & Posture 2011 Feb;33: 309–13. PMCID: PMC3042540
- Temel M, Rudolph KS, Agrawal SK. Gait Recovery in Healthy Subjects: Perturbations to the Knee Motion with a Smart Knee Brace. Advanced Robotics 2011 Feb;25(15):1857-1877.
- Tyrell CM, Roos MA, Rudolph KS, Reisman DS. The influence of systematic increases in treadmill walking speed on gait kinematics after stroke. Phys Ther. 2011 Mar;91(3):392-403. PMCID: PMC3048817
- Kumar D, Rudolph KS, Manal K. An EMG-Driven Modeling Approach to Muscle Force and Joint Load Estimations: Case Study in Knee Osteoarthritis. J Orthop Res, 2012 Mar; 30(3):377-383. PMCID: PMC3250571
- Roos MA, Rudolph KS, Reisman DS. The Structure of Walking Activity in People After Stroke Compared With Older Adults Without Disability: A Cross-Sectional Study. Phys Ther. 2012 Jul 12. PMCID: PMC3432950
- Kumar D, Manal KT, Rudolph KS. Knee joint loading during gait in healthy controls and individuals with knee osteoarthritis (2013) Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 21 (2), pp. 298-305. PMCID: PMC3804122
- Reisman D, Kesar T, Perumal R, Roos M, Rudolph K, Higginson J, Helm E, Binder-Macleod S. Time course of functional and biomechanical improvements during a gait training intervention in persons with chronic stroke (2013) Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, 37 (4), pp. 159-165. PMCID: PMC3890376
- Kumar D, Swanik C, Reisman DS, Rudolph KS. Individuals with medial knee osteoarthritis show neuromuscular adaptation when perturbed during walking despite functional and structural impairments (2014) Journal of Applied Physiology, 116 (1), pp. 13-23. PMCID: PMC3921367
- Winters, J.D., Rudolph, K.S. Quadriceps rate of force development affects gait and function in people with knee osteoarthritis (2014) European Journal of Applied Physiology, 114 (2), pp. 273-284. PMCID: PMC3926512
- James MA, Rudolph KS: Shoulder Pain in Paraplegia and Tetraplegia: The Weight Bearing Upper Extremity. in Betz RR, Mulcahey MJ editors: The Child with a Spinal Cord Injury, American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons Symposium, Rosemont, IL. pp. 449-458. 1996.
- Rudolph, K.S., Fitzgerald, G.K., Snyder-Mackler, L.: Restoration of Dynamic Stability in the ACL deficient Knee. in Lephart, S., Fu, F., editors: Role of Proprioception and Neuromuscular Control in Management in Articular Pathology. Human Kinetics Publisher, Champaign, IL. pp. 393-404, 2000.
- Chmielewski, T.L., Rudolph K.S., Axe, M.J., Fitzgerald, G.K., Snyder-Mackler, L. Movement Patterns of individuals with good potential to dynamically stabilize their knees after acute ACL rupture. In: The Many Faces of Osteoarthritis, ed by KE Kuettner and VC Hascall, Raven Press, New York, pp. 461-463. 2002.
- Snyder-Mackler L, Schmitt L, Rudolph K, Woodzell W. Electrophysical Agents in Sport and Exercise Injury Management in Physical Therapies in Sport and Exercise. In Kolt and Snyder-Mackler L (eds) Physical Therapies in Sport and Exercise. Churchill Livingstone, pp. 217-232. 2003.
- Ling SM, Rudolph KS. Osteoarthritis. In Stephen T. Wegener ST, Basia L, Gall EP (eds) Clinical Care in the Rheumatic Diseases. 3rd Edition. American College of Rheumatology, Atlanta, GA, 2006.
Northern New England – Clinical Translational Research Network (PI: Stackhouse) “Influence of Noxious Electrical Stimulation on Chronic Pain-A Pilot Study” 07/01/20 06/30/21; $40,000 direct; 1.2 mos., Role: Co-Investigator
UNE Mini-Grant (PI:Rudolph) “Dual Task Activities and Subjective Cognitive Decline” 01/01/21 – 08/31/23
- NIH R01HD37985-01 (PI: Snyder-Mackler) Dynamic Stability in the ACL injured knee; 2/01-1/04; $260,000 2.8 mos
- NIH R21-HD40956-01 Rudolph (PI) Smart Fluid Devices for Physical Rehabilitation $450,000 direct 3/01 – 6/04; 2.8 mos
- NIH P20 RR16458-01 – COBRE Osteoarthritis: Prevention and Treatment (Program Director: Buchanan) Project 4 PI: Rudolph; Knee Alignment and the Progression of Osteoarthritis; 2/02-6/06; $150,000 direct/yr, 3.3 mos
- R01 HD38582 BRP-FES & Biomech: Treating Mvmt Disorders (PI: Buchanan); 8/02-7/07; $500,000; 0.9 mos
- R21 HD047468 EBRG Smart Knee Brace Rudolph (PI) 9/04-8/06; $275,000 total direct; 2.8 mos
- T32 HD 07490-06 PT / PhD Predoc Training Program (PI: Binder-Macleod) 6/03- 5/08; $118,000; 0.3 mos
- American Heart Association Beginning Grant-in-Aid (PI: Reisman) 7/07 – 6/09; $50,000/Yr; 0.9 mos; Relationship between speed and walking function post-stroke. Role: Co-Investigator
- NIH P20 RR16458-06 Principal Investigator (Director: Buchanan) 6/07 – 8/11; $1,000,000; Project 5: (PI Rudolph) Knee Stiffness, Proprioception and Instability affect Knee Control in OA.
- NIH R01 NR010786-01 (PI: Binder-Macleod) 9/07 – 5/12 Fast Treadmill Training & Functional Electrical Stimulation (FastFES) to Improve Walking $2,231,992, 1.9 mos Role: Co-Investigator
- 2T32HD007490-11A2 (PI: Binder-Macleod) 5/10 – 4/15; PHS PT/PHD Predoctoral Training Program. 0.3mos
- UNE Minigrant (#PRUD) (PI:Rudolph) Does Altered Pain Processing Affect Movement, Muscle Activation, Function in OA? 06/01/2014 – 08/31/2015 $8,000
- 1R13NS093895-01 (PI: Rudolph) “Piecing Together the Pain Puzzle: The Biopsychosocial Model”
07/01/2015 – 06/30/2016 0.12 mos.
- NIH 1P20GM123955 (PD:Meng) Interdisciplinary Center of Excellence for the Study of Pain and Sensory Function. COBRE Pilot Project 09/01/2015 – 08-31-2016 $30,000
- NIH 1R15AR068627-01A1 (PI: Rudolph) “Chronic Pain, Motor Output and Motor Learning in Knee Osteoarthritis” 04/01/2016 – 03/31/2020 (w/ NCE); $300,000 direct; 5.7 mos.
Invited Plenary Presentations
- Rudolph, KS Dynamic Stability in Stable and Unstable ACL Deficient Knees. University of East London, London, England, October 27, 2000
- Rudolph KS. Dynamic Stability in Stable and Unstable ACL Deficient KneesÓ Section for Health Science at the University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway, October 25, 2000
- Rudolph KS. Dynamic Stability in Stable and Unstable ACL Deficient Knees. Department of Orthopedics, Ulleval University Hospital of the University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway, October 23, 2000
- Rudolph KS. Considerations in the Use of Dynamic EMG in Kinesiological ResearchÓ Section for Health Science at the University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway, October 25, 2000
- Rudolph KS. Knee stabilization in patients with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis: Implications for disease progression. East Carolina University, Dec 10, 2004
- Rudolph, KS. Control of the ACL Deficient Knee: Insights into Dynamic Stability. Center for Sport Oslo Sport and Trauma Research Center The Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education Department of Orthopedics, Ulleval University Hospital of the University of Oslo, NIMI, Oslo, Norway; October 23, 2002.
- Rudolph, KS. Rehabilitation after ACL Injury: a Clinical Research Perspective. Center for Sport Oslo Sport and Trauma Research Center The Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education Department of Orthopedics, Ulleval University Hospital of the University of Oslo, NIMI Oslo, Norway; October 24, 2002.
- Rudolph KS, Schmitt LC. Laxity & Instability in people with knee osteoarthritis. 9th International Conference in Orthopaedics, Biomechanics and Sports Rehabilitation, Perugia, Italy November 11-13, 2005
- Rudolph KS, Schmitt LC. Knee instability and muscle activity in osteoarthritis. 9th International Conference in Orthopaedics, Biomechanics and Sports Rehabilitation, Perugia, Italy. November 11-13, 2005
- Rudolph KS. Smart fluid devices _ variable resistance exercise device. 9th International Conference in Orthopaedics, Biomechanics and Sports Rehabilitation, Perugia, Italy. November 11-13, 2005
- Rudolph KS. A smart knee brace. 9th International Conference in Orthopaedics, Biomechanics and Sports Rehabilitation, Perugia, Italy. November 11-13, 2005.
- Rudolph KS. University of Louisville, Functional Fitness and the Science of Joint Preservation Instructional Course. The Influence of Age on Knee Stabilization strategies _ implications for OA development. Louisville, KY April 28-29, 2006
- Rudolph KS. University of Louisville, Functional Fitness and the Science of Joint Preservation Instructional Course. Frontal Plane Knee Instability in Medial Compartment Knee OsteoarthritisÓ Louisville, KY April 28-29, 2006
- Rudolph KS. Inside the ResearcherÕs Experience: Fostering Research in a College of Health Professions. Presented at the Research Colloquium. University of New England, Portland, ME, May 23, 2011
- Rudolph, KS. Careers in Rehabilitation Research. 2011 National Student Conclave in Minneapolis, MN, Nov 2011
- Rudolph, KS. Careers in Research and Academia. 2012 National Student Conclave in Arlington, VA, Nov 2-4, 2012.